so much to say

I'm tired of following my dreams. I'm just gonna ask 'em where they are going and hook up with 'em later.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

the labor of love.

congratulations to one of my best friends on the birth of her BEAUTIFUL baby girl. She went through 30 some hours of induced labor before undergoing a C-section. Ugh. I couldn't imagine. I have been blessed with a body made for childbirth I guess. I went into labor with Madelyn at 6 am on Father's day. With that said, my husband was up half the night stirring his famous spaghetti sauce that had about $75 worth of ingredients in it, and I didn't go to bed until about 2 am. I was a week overdue and didn't think she would come until I was induced (which was scheduled for that Tuesday), so we just made Father's day dinner plans and didn't think anything of it. By the time my husband got on his feet and we realized that this was really it, it was about 6:30 or so, and I just wanted to take a warm shower. So while I was in the shower for about an hour, Bob was on the phone flipping out to my mom that I was in the shower and crazy! Hour after hour went by and he kept timing my contractions and asking if I wanted to go to the hospital yet. Right around noon I finally made the leap and asked him to take me, under the condition that we would take the pasta sauce to a friend's house so she could let it finish simmering and then refridgerate or freeze it. That killed him! But he did it for me, what a good man. I didn't want to waste it after all the money and time he put into it!! So we made it to the hospital with plenty of time (in my opinion). I was dilated 8 cm, and my water hadn't even broken. When I was placed on the monitor which measured my contractions, they found that I wasn't even feeling pain through some of them. Until they broke my water. That ruined it for me!! But it took me to 10 cm in no time. The pushing part sucked because she was in a posterior position, which means her nose was facing up, not down. Its not a very natural way for a baby to be born if you could just imagine the way her body would have to bend (kinda like a backbend sort of position), so it took a long time...2 1/2 hours, and broken blood vessels in my eyes, a vacuum and forceps for her... but we made it... she was a conehead and I was a swollen, bloodshot mess!
Then there was Benny. I was having very sporadic contractions with him...I'm talking every 3 hours and then one 45 mins. later, then another one 2 hours later... I didn't think anything of them. Those started at about 5 in the morning...but I managed to sleep in between a couple. They subsided once I was up and moving, so Madelyn went off with Bob's sister to pick strawberries, and Bob and I made plans to go to Sam's Club. Wouldn't ya know it our shopping trip was almost over, and my water breaks while I am in the bathroom (thank god!!). So, once again, I drove Bob nuts and made him pay for the groceries we had in our cart before we left. :D By the time we got into the car, my contractions were right on top of each other. Our neighbor headed us off at the door and put our groceries away while we got our stuff to go to the hospital. Once we got to the hospital, I started to push and delivered him a half an hour later. The drama came afterwards when my placenta didn't want to detach and deliver, so I had to be put under and go into the O.R. to have it removed--but I will refrain from details cuz they are kinda yucky. :)
So, on that note, I would just like to wish all my friends and family a happy belated mother's day... and welcome to the world Princess Brooke!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

AHHH Thanks for the shout out. Brookie and Mommy are doing very well! In fact I believe we are going for our first road trip to Erie memorial day weekend for those folks who want to meet the princess! oh BTW I can never get enough of the Sams club story. I love it. But I must admit I am a little jealous of you, 33 freakin hours....man-o-man I will def. be using that story when Brooke needs a lecture!!! :)

May 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home